background

GROWING LEADERS EVERY DAY!
Our school is proud of the traditions, high expectations, and inviting atmosphere that make it a good place to learn and grow.



Wednesday, February 13, 2008

R. L. Young Experiences Africa

The day was filled with anticipation, as students awaited the arrival of buses to carry Young's 4th and 5th graders to the Ritz Theater to see the African Children's Choir. In fact, this opportunity was open to all of the district's 4th and 5th graders thanks to the generosity of Friends of the Ritz Campaign and the initiative of Mr. George Culver.

Dr. Frank Buck from Central Office arranged for buses, completed paperwork, and communicated with school adminstrators to assure that all the details were covered. This event made it possible for many students to learn about another culture "up close and personal" .

You can see from their faces that they were happy to be at the performance, but it was from the students' writings that I really discovered what this trip meant to them.

Quotes from R. L. Young students:

My favorite part was when the cheetah chased after the kids. It was funny even though you could see the boy inside it.

I know every 5th grader had a terrific time at the Ritz.

Thank you for letting us go to the wonderful Ritz Theater. The trip was grand.

Thank you again for the trip, it was amazing!

For them to be from Africa, they sure can sing really well. One day I would like to visit Africa.

I have never seen African children before, but I did know that they talked a different language than me.

They were awesome.

They are really talented.

p.s. I want to see them again.

Thanks, Mr. Culver, Friends of the Ritz, and Dr. Buck! We appreciate you making this possible.

2 comments :

Dr. Frank Buck said...

You are welcome! I'm glad to have had a part in this wonderful program.

Dr. Frank Buck said...

I have been out of town for the past three days. When I arrived at the office this morning and began to go through the mail awaiting my attention, the first thing I opened was a packet of letters from the students at R.L. Young. What a great way for my day to start! For you to take the time to write personal letters about your experiences at the performance means a great deal.

In our school system's vision statement, there is a statement about "qualities of human greatness." Your letters are a perfect example of what we are talking about.