background

GROWING LEADERS EVERY DAY!
Our school is proud of the traditions, high expectations, and inviting atmosphere that make it a good place to learn and grow.



Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Anxiously Waiting


Brittany H., a fifth grader at Raymond L. Young recently competed in the Regional Spelling Bee. I asked if she would write about her experience. We are very proud of Brittany and how well Young was represented in the competition. Great job!

The Spelling Bee took place in Winterboro at the Teacher Center. I was very, very nervous, but I had people encouraging me so I felt a little better.
The Spelling Bee started at 9:00 am. so I had to be ready. Well, it was 9:00 am. and we started. We all had to come up and sit in a chair. There were kids from 3rd – 7th grade participating.
The first thing we had to do was find a chair and listen to the rules. There were many rules. We had to follow all of them, too. It was very nerve-racking.
Next we took part in a practice round. In the real round if you misspell your word you have to sit down. You remain seated until the whole round is over then you go back to your parent or guardian.
Once the practice round is over and the real round begins. It is even more nerve-racking! They give you a word in the order in which you are sitting. When they give you the word you’ll probably want to repeat it to make sure you have heard it correctly. I know I sure did!
Well, it was a lot of fun and I would love to do it again. I guess I did pretty good, because I came in the TOP 5. Maybe someday someone from our school will WIN!
Brittany is certainly a winner at R. L. Young! Congratulations for being in the TOP 5!

No comments :